Self-care is all about consciously and intentionally taking time to take care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually to attain maximum wellness. In the current fast-paced life where everyone is expected to be productive in all areas of life, self-care is of paramount importance in finding a balance and relieving the pressures that come with life demands. It is important for preventing burnout, stress, depression, resentment, illnesses and other negatives in life. As a result, you can enjoy a life of happiness and general wellness. However, self-care isn’t something that you do today and forget tomorrow. If you are to enjoy these benefits, you have to be consistent and strive to do it long-term. But, you can only do this if you have a long-term self-care routine to follow. Here is how to create one.
Tabla de contenidos
Understand the different self-care domains
Your self-care routine should be able to cover all areas of your life for a holistic experience. To be able to create such a routine, you need to understand the different domains of self-care. This way, it will be easier to create your self-care goals. Here are the six aspects of self-care:
- Personal – This is about understanding yourself better as a person
- Emotional – This is about your emotions, how you process and cope with them
- Physical – this involves taking care of your body and physical health
- Professional – how you take care of yourself in your workplace and career journey
- Spiritual – This is connecting with your spirituality and spiritual or religious beliefs
- Psychological – This takes care of your mental health
Choose activities that match your goals
When it comes to self-care, there is no one-size-fits-all strategy. Everybody’s life works differently, which is why you need to choose activities that work for you and are meaningful to your goals. Some activities that you can consider in every domain of self-care:
- Physical: Activities that can help you take care of your physical body and health include getting enough sleep, exercising, going for regular medical checkups, eating healthy and avoiding drugs and alcohol. You can also think of using beauty products such as Saint Jane, Secret Nature, prima, Vertly and Faith in Flower to take care of your skin. These products sold at the 420CBD store are packed with nutrients that the skin needs to glow and grow healthy.
- Personal: You can make a decision to spare a few minutes in your day to just focus on yourself away from technology and devices and do something that you love such as drawing, painting, meditating and more. You can also make a goal to learn more about your interests, for instance, take a class online or read more about it.
- Emotional: Activities can include meditation, spending time with friends, taking a few minutes to affirm yourself positively, keeping a journal, listening to music among others.
- Spiritual: Activities for spiritual self-care can include praying, volunteering, meditation, reflecting, helping others and keeping a gratitude journal and more.
- Psychological: Activities for this domain can include journaling, reading self-help books or decluttering your space.
- Professional: To ensure workplace wellness you can decide to take regular vacations, take regular breaks, leaving work at the workplace or decluttering your workspace
Create your routine
After choosing the activities that align with what you want to achieve, put them down into a routine. This means finding ways to incorporate them into your schedule. You can find a self-care template online to help you create your routine. Most importantly, make sure that you don’t overwhelm yourself lest your routine becomes tiring. You can start with one or two activities in each category. Then turn them into mini goals that are SMART. For instance, if you decide to start reading, you can commit to reading one book per month or a chapter per day. Set a date and time to get started.
Stick to your routine
You can only see results if you are consistent with your self-care routine. So it is very important that you stick to it. A strategy that can be helpful is sticking your routine in a place that is visible such as on the fridge or your dressing table. When you are able to see it every day, it can be an inspiration to commit to your plan. You can also find an accountability partner to keep you on your toes.
Re-assess and refine
Needs and interests keep changing. An activity that you choose today might not be ideal a month or two down the line. You might also encounter challenges along the journey. For these reasons, keep evaluating your self-care routine. Identify any positive benefits to act as an inspiration to keep going. If something is not working, identify the challenges and find ways to solve them. Alternatively, pick another activity altogether. Tweak your routine until you find what works for you.
Self-care is a gift to yourself that keeps on giving. Following a routine consistently will have you showing up in all areas of your life whole and well. In addition, it will start rippling out to others, making your life much easier. If you are having trouble coming up with a self-care routine, follow the above steps to get started on your self-care journey.