In sports and education the figure of the coach or teacher he has great responsibility on the motivation of their athletes or students in carrying out the proposed activities.
To define motivation we stay with the definition of Littman (1958) defines it as: “The process or condition that may be physiological or psychological, innate or acquired, internal or external to the body which determines or describes why, or about what , behavior starts, it maintains, is guided, is selected or ends; this phenomenon also refers to the state by which certain behavior often is achieved or desired; also refers to the fact that an individual will learn, you will remember or forget certain material according to the importance and significance that the subject give to the situation. “
Within this there are two fundamental types:
Extrinsic motivation: this can be defined in a way behaviorist. The cause of the behavior comes from outside, such as a prize, a threat of punishment, etc.
Intrinsic motivation is one that has no other purpose except your own pleasure or personal interest in doing so. It is promoted by psychological needs such as personal causation, effectiveness or simple curiosity. Arises spontaneously.
We will focus on defining post some techniques that all teachers can use to try to increase motivation.
Factors approach of motivation:
The educator must strengthen its own training philosophy or play in the case of team sports.
These methods must put into action, that are reflected players or students.
If not successful in his philosophy is to be critical of it and analyze the advantages and disadvantages of their use.
The educator-trainer must be doing an assessment of how it affects each player in your current job motivation.
Ways to get motivation.
Educator must first be sincere and enthusiastic person what he wants to convey to his students, and always analyze it from a common goal. The more we use more variety of techniques to motivate students. For this we use:
- Conversations, discussions, meetings and discussions with the team, classroom or workgroup.
- Dialogues with individual athletes.
Techniques to increase motivation
1. Ensure that all athletes have the opportunity to experience success at times. To do educators and coaches should design specific activities for their students. It is no use to always win them, if there are lower level players has been to design a task in which I stand or when groups make it balanced so that success is dealt.
2. Increase the perception of control of athletes allowing them to participate in the decision process and giving them responsibilities. For example, they choosing a particular game system or strategy plays.
3. Use positive reinforcement and approvals whenever possible. To deepen this aspect you can see the article on feedback.
4. Set achievable goals but represent a challenge. From less to more, but considering that the top-level players have to be more demanding challenges.
5. Variety in the training program. The monotony tired.
6. Facilitate communication. Players and students are individuals and must have a means of communication clear and known to express their needs. Perhaps that day I have left the bride and not feel like training.
7. Encourage a sense of pride in belonging to the group. If a child is identified with the group or classroom will be easier to undertake the activity. The simple fact of having all the same shirt to train and help.
8. Establish common rules of conduct. All players must be equal before the group norms.
9. Evaluate individual contributions. If a player is motivating others we have to recognize, for others to copy their behavior.
10. Educate the profit generated by performing physical or educational activity and values and positive actitutudes.
11. Consider the extrasport targets, such as punctuality, discipline, etc ..
12. Use auto-registration techniques to see progress or evaluations. Avoid being discriminatory to less advantaged students do not feel displaced group but with growth potential.
13. Maximize social influence, participants interact including organizing recreational and social activities. Even with family and friends.
14. Provide information clearly. Always. The educator is the source of information and must be trainer and trained to answer questions from students, if they do not know the answer offered to help find her.
Today we leave the techniques suggested in memory 14 in a born motivator teams, as was the great Johan Cruyff recently deceased and who wore 14 on his back as a player.
Do you know any more technical?