Usually it is erring in speaking of “making a dynamic group” as the group dynamics are always given in groups, whether they apply or not a technique. The group dynamics were studied first by the German psychologist, nationalized American, Kurt Lewin (1890-1947), recognized as the founder of social psychology and promoter of Gestalt psychology. This movement techniques of group dynamics emerge.
Lewin Field Theory applied his paradigm of social forces emerging in the groups. In his theory, he claimed that individual variations of human behavior in relation to the rule are conditioned by the tension between the perception that the individual himself has of himself and psychological environment in which it is located, ie, the living space.
The technique of group dynamics refers to how the group work is organized through an educator or facilitator to pursue the goals it aims effectively. That said, it is it clear that the scientific name for this branch of social psychology is “group dynamics technique” and not colloquially called “dynamic” or “group dynamics”.
What techniques are used group dynamics?
Uses group techniques are many and depend primarily on the dynamic creativity to adapt to the contexts, people and marked targets. Not the same be performed in the clinical setting in the workplace or in education or sports. Some of its most common uses are:
- Stimulate and / or strengthen the intended subject in a learning process.
- Make transferable or translatable into real situations theoretical concepts.
- Diagnose and develop specific skills and attitudes.
- Assess knowledge.
- Identify the group’s expectations.
- Set rules in a group.
- Overcome the stagnation of the dynamics of a group.
- Energize or prepare a group for learning.
- Diagnose and analyze processes of group dynamics.
- Integrate work groups, etc.
What is not and what is a technique of group dynamics.
To understand the functions and uses the techniques of group dynamics we will first present their misuses:
The techniques of group dynamics ARE NOT TO:
- Play: not used with a playful and fun goal to make work more fun with a group. The techniques of group dynamics are not a game.
- Encourage fellowship: by using these techniques only a certain warmth and camaraderie achieved surface.
- Give options to talk and speculate: not used to “fill time” or perform work or meeting more enjoyable. The animator can not reduce their work to this exclusively.
- Use of pure form: dynamic creativity must be present and not perform at his fingertips as the book puts turn.
The techniques of group dynamics YES ARE FOR:
- Give seriousness and depth: it is intended that the group members reflect systematically. Let us think.
- Create group: do not confuse this with the mere companionship, the techniques are a means of strengthening human relations, deepen them and develop attitudes of fraternity and communion.
- Overcome the stagnation of the dynamics of a group, as stated above, dynamic always occur, a technique the new dynamics. We move the group and their minds.
- Search solutions: If internal group conflicts the solutions to those problems so that integration and communication is favored intragroup be sought. This will benefit the development of critical sense of the people in the group and achieve a more effective team work.
If you’re going to apply a technique of group dynamics you should bear in mind that:
- Not all techniques are suitable for all goals.
- Not all techniques can be used in all places or contexts.
- The techniques are only a means, not an end by themselves.
From these guidelines as you search for and create your own group dynamics technique or by taking as a basis of the most used: forum, lecture, whispering, debates, seminars, interviews, clinic rumor, Phillips 6/6, role- playing, brainstorming, case studies, etc. Remember to lean on psychology professionals for advice or teaching of these techniques will help you adapt to your needs, objectives and specific group of people. Be creative!