Who does not know who is Batman? This popular character was created for DC Comics by Bob Kane and Bill Finger in 1939. His alter ego is the billionaire businessman of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne. He also called Dark Knight or Dark Knight has no superhuman powers, but failing that has a high level of intelligence, wit and physics and worked for the fight and capacity. But above all you have is a lot of money to create your gadgets in the secret lair (Batcave) hidden in his stately mansion.
Behind his mask, we found a psychological complex marked by the tragic events of his childhood. Bruce was born into a multimillion-dollar family and trauma he began when he fell into a well and a cave on the family farm, being enveloped in a swarm of bats. Following this event, his parents take him to see the opera, but this reminds the dramatic moment that lived in the cave with bats and parents were forced to leave the opera before the crisis panicky and terror of his son . When leaving a back door are docked in an alley where the thief shoots and kills them in the presence of the young Bruce Wayne, which will mark its further development in their desire for revenge. So, it’s like devote his life to instill fear in the criminals of Gotham City.
Batman psychological problems
In this scenario it is not surprising that this superhero has certain psychological problems, which can be summarized as follows:
- Persistent disorder of mourning. Bruce Wayne’s parents died when he was just a child and to deal with their grief has chosen social isolation and night fighting crime.
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Derived from the above. He saw his parents die with his own eyes and the psychological impact is still present recalling the tragic event almost every day. What has helped shape his personality. Fighting crime in search of a culprit to relieve their emotional pain.
- Depression. After the death of his parents fell into a depression that follows at least partially maintaining its character it is cold, tipsy and distant.
- Egomania: Batman believes that no one but himself can fight crime and obsessed with it. Everything is organized according to his image (Batcave, Batmobile, bat bat this and that).
- Schizoid personality disorder. Bruce Wayne is a distant society person, does not enjoy personal relationships and avoids, perhaps for fear of losing them later.
- Munchausen syndrome by proxy. It refers to parents who abuse their children or expose them to diseases and dangers. Batman, Robin extrapolates, which endanger and often. In this way, you can then save it, protect it and feel good about yourself. It is a way to compensate for the failure of their parents when it comes to take care of him in childhood.
- Antisocial personality disorder. Mark your own rules, often on the verge of legality, to point him practically become the villain. In addition, it remains hidden under his mask.
- Coulrophobia. Fear of clowns. Yes, the Joker is dressed as a clown because he knows the irrational fear that they have Batman. It even has a figure of a clown in the Batcave to overcome your fear.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Batman does not use weapons as much as is in danger. It is obsessive physical training and care for the details to perfection.
- Multiple personality disorder. It has two different personalities. Billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne and Batman alone, often skirts the boundaries between them consumed by the personality of Batman.
- Dependence. Because it has to endure hard physical training and serious injuries, it becomes in a way addicted to painkillers to combat the effects of pain of fractures and wounds. He has also used heroin and methamphetamine. Furthermore, he became addicted to Poison (Venom), a serum that increases and improves physical abilities. He managed to disengage from him after asking Alfred Pennyworth (his butler) that encerrase in the Batcave for 30 days.
- Emotional control problems. When Batman is angry not control his anger and unleashes against their enemies.
In positive psychology qualities, note that is a clear example of resilience (ability of a person to overcome traumatic and adverse circumstances), both in the case of the loss of his parents and his childhood fear of bats ( after falling into a pit full of them). This is a curious fact that many people do not know, Batman is not masquerading because you like bats, it is precisely the opposite. Curious.
It seems that superheroes are fashionable, but some may need the help of a good psychologist to their private lives, because not everything is fighting evil.